1.31.2009

Group Break Explanation

For those who may be interested, what I will be doing for a Group Break is buying a case of some product, whatever is the general consensus, but something with a good deal of "hits" such as autographs or relics. The idea behind it is that I can't afford to buy a case of something, but if 30 of us chip in $20 apiece, then we could get a decent case of something and share in the results. For something like UD Elements that has 48 "hits," the chances are that everyone would get at least one. If you want to see how a "pro" does it, check out Jawdy's Basement. There is a recap the Upper Deck Heroes case break he did, and it is pretty impressive.

The way we could do that is to either randomly assign teams to everyone who participates, or each person could choose a team that they prefer. I know who most of the people prefer, except for some of the silent readers, and there are only a few overlaps, so maybe we could decide those by random choice. For example, there are at least two Red Sox fans I know, so they could each choose a second team that has not been picked yet, and the one who does not get chosen to get the Red Sox gets their other choice. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great idea. I just did a break of elements and I think I got the biggest hit of the product if you didn't see. I also got a couple grady sizemores that i will be sending you when i have a decently sized package to send!

Flash said...

I'd be interested. It'll be a fight for the Yankees though. But it'd be nice to get some older product that I missed out on.

Nachos Grande said...

As I said before, I'd be interested in particpating (Reds)!

Anonymous said...

Are we going with the UD Elements now? Sounds like a great product for a group break. I prefer everyone selecting teams(Orioles).

Anonymous said...

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, but unless you pull a Jeter / Ripken / Griffey jsy/auto, there's not another card in the entire elements product that will even come close to letting somebody break even on the $20 they're paying to get in on it.

By the way regarding my comments on the earlier post, there are 80+ "hits" per case of sweet spot. 2 autos and 2 jerseys per tin. 20 x 4 = 80.

Anonymous said...

I would agree that Sweet Spot would be a better break just due to 4 hits per pack because of the jerseys. Hawk is also correct for Elements. I just got lucky and got the Ripken hit. The highest priced hit is the Jeter jersey/auto selling for around $80+ on the Bay, everything else you can just buy for cheap and wouldn't be worth $20, but it would be fun to do a box or two just for fun.

steveisjewish said...

im in - I'd love the mets but if its a random game, im still in - its like the lotto but better