4.05.2010

The Joy of a Found Card Shop

One of my favorite things to do when I travel is to find a local card shop and see if it is worthy of my patronage. (Idea: database of card shops that are worth a stop. I may add that to my blog one of these days.)

I was in Boston this past weekend, visiting my in-laws with my wife, kids and new puppy (someone PLEASE remind me why I got another dog!), and had a few hours where Joshua and I were not needed at a clothing store or family event. Pulled out the iPhone, checked Google Maps for local card shops, and found one nearby in Marblehead.

I can't recall the name of it other than Baseball Cards, but it is on the main street in Marblehead village, and it is about as big as my cubicle at work. However, it was a great little store, as there are singles everywhere. In fact, it was so well organized that there were boxes from every release from every year sitting on shelves just waiting for someone to look through each and every one of them. I picked out the 2007 Heritage box, but didn't find any singles I could use after a quick glance. Then I check out the Stars box, the Red Sox box, and the Politics/Presidents box. I found all the Historical Campaign Matchup cards from 2008 Topps that I needed at only 50 cents apiece, and one of the Presidential Predictors I needed. Very cool! In the Stars box, I found one of the 1969 Deckle Edge Luis Tiant cards, for only $2. Another box helped me pick out a few 2008 Year in Review cards.

Meanwhile, Joshua picked up a few new packs of 2009 SP Authentic. That kid still has the magic touch. Out of three packs, he got an auto of Colby Rasmus and a By the Letter auto of Jordan Zimmerman. Of course, there were only three packs left, so I bought them and got . . . bupkis! (That means "a lot of nothing" in Yiddish.) Oh, well.

If you are ever in the area, check out this little gem of a store. Great prices, good selection, and singles everywhere!

2 comments:

Slangon said...

That's an awesome idea about creating a database of cool card shops. I was thinking about that the other day. I'm going to Florida on vacation in a few weeks and thought it might be cool to try and track down a card shop down there.

BASEBALL DAD said...

We're going on vacation in about 6 weeks.Know of any card shops in Iowa? (I couldn't even find an upcoming card show in Iowa!)