3.07.2009

No Cheese & Beer, Just Thome & Sizemore

I had heard all about him, seen his name all over the baseball blogosphere, but had not yet traded with Dubbs from Cheese and Beer. So when I found his blog, finally, and went through his wantlists, of which I have quite a few of the cards from those valuable late-80's Topps, Fleer and Donruss sets (ahem), he responded in kind and came through BIG-TIME with some great Thome, Sizemore and Vizquel cards. The Vizquel cards will be going into the Omar posts.

The Thomes were plentiful (22) and colorful. Unfortunately, only 2 of the 22 were in an Indians uniform, but as a Thome card collector, I guess I'll have to get used to seeing him in a Phillies uniform and a (shudder!!!) White Sox uniform. He's still a great guy with a great smile, disposition and home run swing. Don't you love it when he takes a big cut and gets his front foot's toes up in the air, even when he misses. You can see it below on the Donruss Greats card, top row, on the far right. It's a thing of beauty, and I would never recommend trying to teach that swing to a kid!


The Gradys are really nice, too. He fits in well on the old-style cards, as does Thome. Come to think of it, so does Vizquel. Certainly not like Manny or A-Rod. However, the Diamond Kings paintings are weird, kinda creepy. Not the best depictions in my opinion. 


Dubbs, the cards are on the way, including most of the cards from the Fleer list. Keep an eye out for them, and thanks for all the great cards.

3 comments:

madding said...

I really like those Diamond Kings cards. I need more of them.

Motherscratcher said...

Dubbs is a heck of a guy, isn't he?! Nice cards.

night owl said...

I'm with you on the Diamond Kings card. I have the Manny card and I really want to get rid of it. I almost want to throw it out just so I don't have to look at it anymore.