12.18.2009

VMart Special

Ryan from I Heart Halos! sent a nice big package filled with nothing other than Victor. Martinez, that is. VMart. All VMart. All day. All package. Over 60 - YES 60! - VMart cards.

I have one card of Victor in a Red Sox uniform, and that is the latest card I will probably ever keep of his. It's sad to see him in that drab Fenway-gray. Better to have a nice RW&B Indians uni.

Ryan hit me with some really intersting cards. First, this 2004 Bowman Heritage.



Notice anything funny about it? Look on the back. Yes, Martinez was a pitcher on the Red Sox in 2003! Whoa, WHAT! Oh, wrong Martinez. If you read the biography, it is talking about Pedro, not Victor.

ERROR CARD! WORTH 5X OF THE NORMAL BASE CARD!

Oh, that's only $2.50 on eBay. Oh, well.

Next up is an early WBC card. Victor played for the Venezuelan team in the 2006 WBC. This is a mighty fine looking card, too:



Great use of color and refractor foil. And I really like that they put the flags on the backs of these. I had never seen one of these before, but I really like it.

Third, I now have one of the earliest VMart cards available: the 2002 Bowman card after his Single-A year in the Carolina League at Kinston.



That's an early card! But not the best of the earlies. Ryan outdid himself (BTW, how DO you out-do yourself?) and sent this amazingly beautiful, amazingly early, amazingly numbered card of Victor from 2002 as well:



This looks like a Major Leaguer card, well thought out. If I had pulled this from a pack, I would have thought that he was already a Major Leaguer.

Thanks, Ryan, for all the great cards.

2 comments:

RWH said...

I'm glad you liked the cards. I know it sucks to see favorite players in new uniforms, but at least we still have our cardboard for the memories.

shoeboxlegends said...

I've pulled 3 of those 04 Bowman Heritage cards and all of them have the wrong back. I'm not even sure there is a correct version!